SFP module refers to a small form-factor pluggable transceiver that can be used in place of a fixed interface, such as a modular connector in an Ethernet switch. Using an SFP offers many advantages over fixed interfaces for data communication and telecommunication networks. To learn more about what an SFP module is and what it is used for, continue reading.
What is an SFP module?
Also known as a mini gigabit interface converter, a small form-factor pluggable module is a hot-swappable device with both a transmitting and receiving side. It can be plugged directly into the physical port of a networking device. It can realize electrical and optical signal conversion to extend the original link distance. Because it accepts both optical and copper cables, it is widely supported by several different networking devices.
What SFP modules are used for?
An SFP module is used to interconnect fiber cables to network switches and other communication devices, such as industrial Ethernet switches and media converters. The hot-swappable device allows the user to equip an interface port with any suitable type of transceiver, which is often necessary for fiber optical connections.
SFP modules support several different communication standards, such as gigabit ethernet, synchronous digital hierarchy, synchronous optical networking, and fiber channel. In most cases, SFP devices are used in 1G network transmission over both short and long distances, depending on the classification standard.
Types of SFP modules
There are many different types of SFP modules that work with different wavelengths at various distances. Some of the main types of SFP modules include:
- 1000BASE-T SFP: designed with an RJ45 interface and supports a network distance of up to 100 meters when operating on a CAT5 cable.
- 1000BASE-SX SFP: a multimode short-range SFP that works on 850-nanometer wavelength over multimode LC fiber and can reach distances of up to 550 meters.
- 1000BASE-LX SFP: used for long-distance transmission and supports a 10-kilometer link operating on a 1310-nanometer wavelength over a single-mode duplex LC cable.
- 1000BASE-EX SFP: can achieve distances of 40 kilometers over single-mode duplex LC cables.
- 1000BASE-ZX SFP: supports an 80-kilometer link over single-mode duplex LC cables.
Antaira’s SFP module products
Antaira Technologies is a leading provider of industrial networking solutions, including a wide variety of small form-factor pluggable transceivers. Our SFP modules create reliable connections and can be used with copper media and multimode optical fiber, as well as a single-mode optical fiber in harsh environmental conditions. To learn more about our SFP modules or other industrial networking products, contact us today.